Global Voices is a borderless, largely volunteer community of more than 800 writers, analysts, online media experts and translators. They’ve been working in citizen media reporting since 2005. “We curate, verify and translate trending news and stories you might be missing on the Internet, from blogs, independent press and social media in 167 countries.” And now they’re looking for someone to help lead their Latin American coverage.
“The Latin America editor leads daily newsgathering from the region, writing and coordinating stories by our borderless community of volunteer writers and translators, while developing a robust set of online sources to stay on top of regional social, political and activism trends on the Internet. Our newsroom is unique — it’s completely virtual, our writers are volunteers, our sources are multilingual and live on the Internet. Our newsgathering focus is on trending news, freedom of speech issues, online censorship, activism, and stories that are underreported or misrepresented in mainstream media.”
What does the role entail?
- Responsible for coverage from Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.
- Write, fact-check, and edit stories.
- Add relevant context to stories for a global audience.
- Keep on top of developing stories, buzz and trends across social media and citizen media the region.
- Develop a database of reliable and vetted online sources.
- Manage volunteer writers and partnerships.
- Meet deadlines and posting requirements.
- Stay engaged with virtual regional group, newsroom and larger community.
- Work in line with Global Voices community, editorial guidelines, mission and culture.
- Be fluent in English and Spanish.
- Have a strong journalism and/or digital rights activism background.
- Possess sound editorial judgment on regional issues.
- Know who the credible social and citizen voices are in their region.
- Understand mainstream media, local press and social media dynamics in their region.
- Understand digital rights, freedom of speech, and activism-related issues and dynamics in their region.
- Have proven sourcing and news writing ability.
- Be able to write sensitively and knowledgeably about local issues for a global audience.
- Possess leadership qualities.
- Have a strong and reliable Internet connection.
- Be available 30 hours a week.
Looking for translators in Dublin? Visit instantranslation.ie with your query or for an instant quote.